Monday, September 19, 2011

clam chowder (and pictures of Bea)

I've made a new goal to try a new recipe each week because I get so bored with our meals.


I figured that since we are now living in New England, I should at least try to make clam chowder or as is pronounced here: chowdah.


To make clam chowder you need clams, so I went to the fish market (yes, like they caught them that day) and told the man working there that I wanted to make chowder and he showed me already cooked crab meat for chowder. I shook my head at him and said, "actually, I would rather do all the work myself." I'm sure as soon as I left he called me crazy, but before he did he sent me on my way with 5lbs of clams or quahogs as they are called here.



First I let them soak in water, salt and corn starch to get rid of the sand in them.
Next, I steamed the clams until they opened.


While I was waiting for them to cool I started on the soup.


This is what the clam meat looks like out of the shells. Yup, I thought it was gross too.


I cut it up into very miniscule pieces and added it to the chowder.


On Friday night we went to Georges for fish and chips. It was a little chilly, but we braved it and sat on the deck anyway.



Hello Gorgeous.



2 comments:

  1. your daughter is as beautiful as her momma! I am glad that you are embracing living in the east. I would love to come visit you guys sometimes. I think it would be a blast : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stac, you never said if you like the clam chowder.. was it good?

    ReplyDelete