Saturday, September 16, 2006

courage

sometime this week my dad wrote me an email and at the end of the email he asked a simple question: "how is switching into student mode going?" i think the answer i gave him was a little more than he was looking for. let me share.

being a student is just okay. all of my classes are huge, and believe it or not sometimes i wish i were living in the dorms. obviously that isn't an option but it's so much easier to make friends in the dorms. i think i would miss jason too much though. :) so what i'm trying to say is that it's lonley up here right now. there are many times a week that i wish that i could just come home.

is it really nescessary to know how many electrons are in a atom to be a nurse? do i really need to go through 4 more years of this?

sometimes i think that it would have been easier if we would have stayed home and gone to CC or grand valley and kept a full time job.

but i really do know that if we didn't move and didn't take this leap, we would still be in GR doing the same things, and not moving forward.

i think that in everyone's lives it's a constant struggle to balance what is easier and what is good and what will reap the most benifits in the end. i feel that the biggest payoffs usually come from doing things that aren't always so "easy." and when you do something that is a little scary and not so secure, that is when you get the biggest rewards.

so when i think about wanting to be home or wanting to have friends, i think about how great it will be in the end to have a career that will benifit not only me, but my patients, and my kids, and the rest of my family. all of the good things in life come with a little risk and take a lot of courage.

so do something that takes courage today. do something scary. even if it's a little thing. they don't always have to be big acts of courage, but just think of the rewards. put a smile on your face and maybe some one else will get one too.

4 comments:

  1. Stacey, I am so proud of you for taking this leap and actually putting into words you thoughts, feelings and struggles. You and Jason will both do great, and sometimes this is just what you need.I completely relate to some of your feelings, just wanting to have those connections and relationships, I went through alot of that at the U of MN...but you are so right when you say in the end you will have a career that benefits not only you but others. Good job Stacey. Know that I am proud of you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there and give it all a chance to develope, and time will tell. Remember, sometimes you have to climb out on the limb to reach the fruit. WLY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi honey, I admire your strength and courage. I often reflect on how quickly time passes by and think about past opportunities past by in terms of life experiences. Think of this as an opportunity to grow personally and in your relationship with your boyfriend. You never get these years back. I pray that you look back on these years with sweet memories. That's the practical mom. The emotional mom says....not a day goes by that I don't wish you were here with us. I miss you both so much I can hardly stand it. It's not the same and I can't believe we are going on vacation without being to hug you both really big. I love you with all of my heart. We will call you from Rome.....oxoxox - mom s. PS: one of my favorite quotes is from Eleanor Roosevelt...."do one thing every day that scares you.."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so brave friend, and I am so proud of you for choosing to embark on this uncertain journey. I think John Eldrigde is the one who has to say this about our God: "Is He safe? Of course He isn't safe. But he's good." Rest is His goodness today. I can only imagine what amazingness (no, i don't think that's a real word) He has in store for you...

    ReplyDelete