Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Dad

My Dad saved me from myself a few years ago.

I was in a spot in my life, that I was only vaguely aware of the fact that something needed to change.


My dad on the other hand saw that I was going no where fast on my own.

I remember the day very clearly. It was the day I got my tonsils out and I went to lunch with my dad, but I couldn't eat anything because of the surgery.

It was at that meal that my dad did the bravest thing.

He gave me an ultimatum. It was the only thing that I would understand, the only thing that I would respond to.

He told me that day that he had no choice. He knew that if he talked to me he might loose his relationship with his daughter, and that if he didn't talk to me he might loose his daughter.

At the time I was so angry with him. How dare he do that, how dare he.

And then...I thought about what he had said, and I thought about it some more, and you know what.

He was right.

I don't know if I've ever really thanked my dad for what he did that day. But on this very special day when all dads are honored, remembered, and treasured, I want to say thank you.

Dad, thank you for being brave and taking a risk with me. Thank you for always standing my me. Even when I'm not always making the wisest decisions. Thank you for always being there, and never being temperamental. Thank you for giving me back to myself. Thank you for saving who I was, and everything about me that makes me Stacey.

I often think about that day, and I think about how my life would be different from how it is now. I have my dad to thank for that.

Happy Father's Day. I love you and respect you and who you are so much. Thank you for being my dad.

With all my love, Stacey

4 comments:

  1. Stacey ,I love you Thank-you . Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stace, What an awesome, amazing tribute to your wonderful father. Thank you for sharing. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey Renee.. What a lovely gift your gave your dear father for fathers day, priceless! luv gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are YOu trying to kill him Goodnite i can hardly read that and i didnt create you!! :) love andrea joy

    ReplyDelete