Tuesday, January 22, 2008

3 years today













I've decided that anniversaries need to be celebrated like we celebrate birthdays.
I mean birthdays require no effort at all, but another year in a marriage is a completely different story.

That being said:
Three years ago today Jason and I were joined in marital bliss....or so we thought.
When they (whoever "they" are) said that the first year was going to be the hardest, "they" weren't kidding.
Our first year of marriage was definitely not bliss. It was work. Really hard work.
There were a lot of expectations (mostly mine) of what this marriage was supposed to look like.
There were fights, there were misunderstandings, there was a general boredom from the monotony of two becoming one, and the general monotony of our own separate lives.
There were also good times though. Times were we laughed, finally figured something out, shared in an experience that only the two of us would have.
But, that wasn't enough. We NEEDED a change. A BIG change. Not only for 'us' to work, but for each of us individually to have a place and purpose.
That is when we both decided that we needed to go back to school. We needed to, not run away from the life we had, but rather radically change it.
Make it better somehow.
So, we landed ourselves in Marquette.
It was not easy.
It was not always fun.
It was not always ideal.
But it was ours.
Our experience to have and to figure out, just the two of us.
We didn't make many friends right away, and even the ones we called friends, were not close.
It was just the two of us.
We have been living up here in Marquette, going to school, driving back and forth to Grand Rapids, making much better, closer friends, and genuinely enjoying the experiences that have come our way for a year and a half now.
This is what I know about marriage, our marriage now.
It's about the little things. The unexpected things.
Like Jason washing the dishes, or finishing the laundry, or making sure to put the seat down, or making coffee in the morning, or worrying about me getting home from work safe, or getting flowers, just because, or just giving me a hug when I need it the most.
It's about loving unconditionally, even when we are not at our best.

Jason is a wonderful husband.
He is stable.
He is kind.
He is patient.
He is so loving.
He is funny. (i hate to admit that one.)
He is a wonderful example of what a good husband looks like.
Thank you for three years baby. I don't know where I would be without you.
It hasn't been easy.
But it's good.
So good.
Just to have you next to me.
Whatever may come.

Last of all I am proud of the example we are to our friends. I have heard on more than one occasion about Jason and I, and our marriage, and how we are together.
This is a part of an email I got from my friend Jenn that has spent a considerable amount of time with me, with Jason and with the two of us together. It is the highest form of compliment I could have gotten.

You should be very very proud of who you are, what your marriage is to you both and to the rest of us (i'm pretty sure you two might be the only married couple any of us is willing to admit makes marriage look appealing)

Sorry for the REALLY long post.
I guess I had a lot to say.

10 comments:

  1. I love this post and love the love that you and Jason share.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason & Stacey. Happy Anniversary! What a lovely tribute to your three years of marriage! You Two are Awesome!
    luv you gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stac! What an awesome post...I couldn't help but comment on it! I'm glad you find yourselves so so happy and in love! I remember 3 years ago today when I couldn't be there to celebrate with you but you, bless your heart, called me in the hospital on your way to the reception just so I wouldn't feel left out! You've got the sweetest spirit Stacey Renee and I love ya!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are proud of and love you both.


    dad S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there sassypants~

    I loved this post. I love that you are willing to share your heart and be vulnerable. I love you stace and who you and jason have become. The two of you are a good example of what marriage is and what it is not. you make is appealing. I can't wait to have what you and jason have someday. Thanks for your wisdom you have shared with me, not to settle. I love you dearly.

    love katie marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, yes, it only gets better from here. Life is just beginning for us! I would have to say that by far, year 3 to 4 was my favorite so far!
    Love ya!
    Congrats and too many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! You guys are continually in our prayers! Here's to three more (imagine us lifting our glasses in a toast)! Thanks for all your love and support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy (late) Anniversary! I can't believe it has been 3 years already. You and Jason are still the perfect couple, and am so glad you made it to year 3, and are still happy!
    I love you both!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your post, too, Stacey. I can't imagine our family without you in it. You had us at "hello". Dad and I are really proud of both of you. Infact, we are thinking of quitting our jobs and enrolling in NMU just so we can have as much fun as you guys. Keep up the passion, you are living your heart!

    Mom S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary! I appreciate your candor and echo many of your sentiments. Here's to many more happy years together!

    ReplyDelete