Friday, January 26, 2007

smell

What is it about smell that can bring you back to specific places in your memory bank? Take tonight for example. I was organizing and cleaning up my desk space and everything that was on it, and at the same time I was burning one of those wax aroma things and all of the sudden I thought I was back in my apartment in Grandville. So crazy, and just this week I was in the tanning bed with the fan blowing on me and the combination of the "breeze" and the smell of my tanning lotion and the music playing put me right back on the cruise ship from 3 years ago. I don't know about any of you but there are certain smells that can bring me back to certain times. The certain smell of chlorine brings be back to water polo practices over 5 years ago, and the certain hairspray smell brings me back to camp AO-WA-KIYA, and that goes WAY back in the 'ole memory bank. It's crazy that I'll be right there right there again like it was yesterday. Do you have any smells that automatically put you in a certain place or time?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stac.. Interesting that you write on smells, I was in the grocery store, and grandma Boz always wore "White Shoulders" perfume, and some lady had it on, and immediately I was reminded of my mom either carrying the slighly sweet smell of the perfume, or moth balls, which she also liked. fun memories. luv gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. mom, that comment just cracked me up because it is soooo true. Gram was either perfume OR moth balls! That is quite a combo! renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys crack me up. The other smells that get me are pipe tobbaco smoke and the perfume that Necie used to wear when I was younger. And you are both right about Grandma Boz. Gotta love the moth balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Necie, I'm suuuuurrrree Stacey thinks that the 'perfume you wore when she was younger' is much better than Grandma Boz's moth balls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SHOULD clarify shouldn't I! You smell wonderful Neice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. malibu musk always takes me back to the innocence of elementary/middle school. and then there are those certain perfumes you wore when dating someone. the smell still brings the memories of them back...very strange.

    ReplyDelete