Wednesday, February 21, 2007

no tv for 40 days

All day I've been trying to think of what the season of Lent means to me...I think I figured it out. (i think) By "giving up" TV for 40 days it means that during the times that I would normally watch TV, which is everyday, sometimes for hours at a time. (a HUGE chunk of my week...wasted) I usually tell myself that it's ok as long as I'm just on the internet or knitting or doing dishes or cleaning up the house...seriously it's on ALL the time. All that time I have it on is time that I could be doing something more productive, more apeasing and glorifying to God. So this Lenten season by "sacraficing" TV I am telling God that my time is His, and I refuse to fill it with idle nothingness. Lent for me means that I want to get closer to God, to get back to the root of things, to reflect and pray, and wait on the Lord.
For Valentines Day Jason didn't get me chocolates or flowers, or jewelry, but he did get me The Visual Edition of The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning which is way better than chocolates and will last longer than flowers. This is the shortened version with exerpts from his original book. Brennen states the obvious in that we are all ragamuffins, but it doesn't matter because we have God's love. And really that is what the Bible is all about...THE LOVE OF GOD THROUGH GRACE. And until we understand that we will never fully understand God or what it truly means to be a Christian. If I can gather my thoughts on this this, I will write more and in the mean time if you are looking for an honest "self awareness" book pick up either version of the Ragamuffin gospel.
As far as Lent goes I did not write this post to boast and brag about how big it is of me to give up TV, but I did it to put it in writing, to confirm the reasons why I observe Lent.

6 comments:

  1. Stacey, Thank-you for sharing your Lent gift. It was very encouraging to me to hear how God is working in your life. I love you... keep sharing & writing. It flows naturally from your heart to the paper... that my dear is a gift. Can't wait to see the Lent quilt. Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Stacey Renee..I love your blog. Soon and very soon you will be in the land of sun and cactus. love gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I love both of you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you and your diciplin of giving up your TV for 40 days. I will hold you to that in AZ! When are you getting there by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. we will get there about midnight on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are quite aa girl [ woman] I love you Stacey , Dad

    ReplyDelete