Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ahhh...the sweet, sweet smell of summer

Sorry, again, for the delay in posting. It's been a busy week. Jason and I both started our summer classes on Monday. Jason also started his new job as a desk clerk at the Red Fox Inn working the 12-8am shift. The days he has class, which is Mon-Thurs, when he works he leaves at 7am and has class at 7:30am until 9:30am. Then he tries to come home and sleep a little. And I know from experience that figuring out how to figure out your sleep schedule with a midnight shift is very, very difficult. He has to figure out when to sleep, when to eat, when to study, and most importantly for Jason, when to play softball.
For those of you who don't know, Jason is the captain of a softball team for the English department. It's a very eclectic team, but everyone on the team is very enthusiastic about playing softball. Tonight the team they were playing decided that they were going to cancel the game due to rain. Mind you, the rain wasn't anywhere in sight at 3:00, so they other team canceled and Jason's team had a great practice. After practice, the piston's played game 2 tonight and a couple of the team players went out for a couple of brewsikies and to watch the game.

I met them after my class to join in the fun. Speaking of class. I started my Black and White photography class on monday. It's going to be very intense six weeks, but it's going to be very instructive. I know that I will be a much better photographer when I'm done. I have already been asked to take engagement pictures later this summer for our friends Anthony and Molly. Right now I am just waiting for my film and paper to come in the mail. Yes, that's right I have to have my photo supplies shipped to me....oh, man living in the UP is something else.

Summer is finally here in da yooo pee. It's been high 70's for the most of the week and I am working on my tan. It's not hard to do when I'm at work watering shrubs on a black parking lot! I also went to beach on my day off on tuesday, but it was so windy that I grabbed my book and headed over to the pier and sat there and read for a couple of hours with out the sand blowing in my ears.

Other than school and work, we are just enjoying the summer. Our first visitor of the summer is coming next week. Jason's brother Steve is coming for a couple of days. I think that my cousin Joel is thinking of coming up in the middle of June and Jason's parents are coming around the 4th of July, and my parents and grandparents are coming at the end of July for the festival, Art on the Rocks. Yay!!! Visitors!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this picture says everything. Flip flops = summer!

The picture below is something called a photogram. It was my first experiment in the dark room. I tried to explain it to my mom on the phone, but that didn't work, so I took a digital picture of it instead.

When a picture is made in the dark room, light is shone thru the negative onto the photographic paper. And then the paper is put into chemicals that makes the latent image appear on the paper. Instead of using a negative to make a picture, we were told to bring objects from home that either made a creative design or told a narrative about us. It's obvious what mine was about. I used a couple pieces of fabric, my clear ruler, my jar of buttons, a needle and thread, and pins. When the light shines on the paper it turns the exposed parts black and the things the light can't go thru it turns them white.
I loved how mine turned out! I hope that explains it a little more mom!

(if you click on the picture, it will usually open it in another window a little larger)


3 comments:

  1. oooohhh, now I get it! :) Very creative my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Stacey Renee.. I understand what you did completely, isn't that just bazaar watching those prints appear in the chemicals, I loved the process.. good job girl.. luv you and spider man.. gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i need help whats the user name and password for the terbeek blog so i can make a post?????? love andrea

    ReplyDelete